Nasty

From bad to worse. Tuesday night the main furnace in the house quit, no problem electric baseboard heaters keep house sorta warm, but then power went out yesterday just before noon, so no power no heat, then the frosting on the cake the phone quit as well. Never in my life have I been so cold, had on 3 layers and over top my heavy winter parka. Finally went to bed to get warmed up, flannel pj's and big down comforter did the trick. Again this morning house was way to cold, again 3 layers topped with my boiled wool jacket, not good. Had just begun thinking about going to Tatla for a hot breakfast and coffee when at just after 10 power kicked on, and shortly thereafter the phone was working again. If this should ever happen again will get my butt out of here and go visit someone with wood heat.

Comments

  1. Glad you're ok. I've been without heat and power, just not as cold as you get. It's not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need a one-burner propane stove to heat water and food, and a couple hot water bottles to snuggle with. I usually sleep with rice bags to warm the bed, but I have a couple nice rubber hot water bottles to fill in case of power outages. It's amazing how cozy it is to snuggle with them at your feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look into a gas camping stove next trip to town and the hot water bottles are at the top of the list.

      Delete
  3. Poor you! So glad the power came on before you were frozen right out of your house. I second the hot water bottles! Even here where it's more damp than cold, they heat up the bed all snuggly. Couldn't get through winter without 'em. We also have a wood-burning fireplace insert. I'm surprised you don't have a wood stove, Lynne, since you live where wood is plentiful? Although there is the care and feeding thereof...lots more work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Insurance would go up $1600 a year if I went back to wood heat, would also have to hire someone to cut wood, split it, stack it, then the problem of having to find someone to clean chimney etc.

      Delete
  4. So glad your power came back on - hope the furnace gets fixed soon so you can get warm & toasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad the power eventually came back on, and I'm also glad this didn't happen during that deep freeze that proceeded this pineapple express. I hope you are able to get a furnace repairman there within the next couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Furnace repairman will be back in the valley the 22nd, will then stop in. So just have to hang in until then, woolies all around.

      Delete
    2. I hope another Arctic front doesn't move in before he arrives.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

More socks

This & That

Friday Jan. 5